Monday, January 30, 2012

Back in Germany, and Looking for a Place to Live!

What an adventure!




Here we are, back in Germany for about a week and a half now. When we arrived, there was unfortunately no snow to my disappointment. But after praying with Simon about it on the weekend, it came! So on Saturday we went out and all played in our first snow this winter. Simon enjoyed throwing snowballs at poor helpless pregnant women (like me) or almost 2 year olds with undeveloped reflexes. Elijah thought it funny though.









Elijah bundled up for his first snow












The Castle is so pretty in white







So we're very thankful to be staying right now in our friends' Volker and Naraleska's. They are currently in Venezuela visiting family, and they've offered us their home until the return near the end of February. So we at least have a home until then. Other than that, we're on the hunt and here in Hurlach it seems quite a feat to find an apartment. There is nothing on the internet, no newspaper, nothing listed anywhere! The other day we heard word from the lady at a local store here that there may be a free flat, so we acted fast. Simon went to the flat, and then was directed to the landlord who lived right behind. He then walked to the landlord's house to ask if it was still available. He could only give us more information today... it is indeed free, and is a good size. The problem is that it is available first from April 1st. Which means we would have to find something to bridge the time in between, and this something would have to still have to be rather private since that's exactly the time when this next baby will come. So naturally, my flesh feels a bit panicky, and not ready for this adventure that's being asked of me. I go through times of doubting, and times of holding on in faith that God, my Papa, is the ultimate provider, he loves me and is faithful.

It's times like these I especially enjoy the Psalms: 
 For the righteous will never be moved; 
   he will be remembered forever. 
 He is not afraid of bad news; 
   his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. 
 His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, 
   until he looks in triumph on his adversaries. 

Psalm 112:6-8


I often say, I love having great stories telling of God's amazing mercies, and triumphs in my life. But the times leading up to these are very challenging and uncomfortable... and my oh my, have I had many of these instances in the last six months. On the other hand, I also have had some pretty awesome stories and miracles because of the challenges.


Aruba Outreach




 <---Setting up for the Mini-DTS

When we left the Mini-DTS was just finishing up, and it was a great success and a pleasure to watch it all come together, and to see God really work through our team, and the individuals who came.






Playing an icebreaker game 









 It was an honour to have Dan Baumann with us. On the first night we had around 40 something visitors from all over the island, from all sorts of churches, or from no church at all.
Dan Baumann and Erick our DTS Leader, and translator for the evening





Since we've left, our team is still doing well (of course!). They're busy around Aruba working with the drug addicts now, and it seems more and more opportunities are opening up. We're really proud of them, and excited to have them home and hear all the other amazing things that have/will happen!


Back to Hurlach, and the Story Keeps Going

A few days after coming home to Hurlach, we attended our local church here in the area and were talking to one of the men there about the work we were doing in Aruba. We mentioned the work that was going on with the prostitutes in the island's Red Light District. He seemed to wonder if us being there to "minister" to these ladies perhaps offended them. He wondered if us going there to love them made them feel like they were being judged or accused.

I tried to explain that our goal wasn't to go there to make them change their lifestyle. Our goal was to love them, and try to show them how God thinks and looks at them. They are precious in His sight. God does the change, not us. Although, during the conversation I thought, "How much can 'just loving' do?" It goes againt our "do do do" instincts.

After our conversation we came home, and I checked our Team's Blog and was amazingly encouraged by the story they had just updated with. I'll include an excerpt here, because it greatly encouraged me:

As you know we have been going down to St. Nicolaas every Saturday and working with the people there and out of this something really cool happened. When I was chatting with Juan (who went back to Colombia) a couple of days ago , he told me this: While he was sitting at the airport in Aruba waiting for his flight to go home he met one of the Colombian prostitutes there to whom we had talk in St. Nicolaas. He was astonished because the woman told us she would go back to Colombia in end of February, so it was over one month to early for her to go back. Juan asked her what she was doing here and she said “You guys were the people who were used from God to said to me the mistake that I was making. I come back to Colombia and change my life and fight for my kid!!!” written by Hanna 

Simon and I were so overjoyed after reading this. How Great is God? We had gone to this area with the intention of "just" loving and "just" worshipping Jesus... and that makes the change.

As a Christian, what freedom is this!? It is not anything I do or say that makes the difference.

What matters is God, what He does, and that I give Him the space to do it.. instead of hindering Him by my own ideas and opinions of what people should and should not do.

Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment